So, as most people know, I cook a lot and prepare to eat as many homemade products as possible. I dislike processed and fast food since for a few years I was quite ill due to this kind of food being in my life. As soon as I kicked it out my body started to recover at a super fast speed. If you follow me on my Instagram account you will see a lot of food pictures since I love to share with my followers and keep a tab of new recipes which I make on the spot. Today I am showing you my Homemade Nutella recipe which is paleo, primal and gluten-free friendly. You can always change up the recipe to suit your needs more.
Healthy Homemade Nutella
Nutella has been around, like for ever, at least in Europe. I grew up eating the original Nutella. The original one you say?! Yes. Today’s Nutella is sugary and not to my liking. It’s even softer and the ingredient has changed. I wanted to make a healthy version of Nutella using the most natural ingredients to avoid bad calories and to make it that I could eat it guilt free daily on one piece of bread each morning with my coffee. My recipe might not be a buck saver, nor will it be more than $5 more expensive than Nutella, but it will be healthier, by far!
- 1 1/2 cup blanched hazelnuts
- 2 1/2 tsp butter
- 70 grams 70% cocoa dark chocolate
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- pinch himalayan salt
- 3 – 4 tbsp home grown honey
*additional products you can add but are not required
- almond milk or coconut milk or dairy milk (1/4 cup)
- cocoa powder up to (1 – 2 tbsp)
How to blanch hazelnuts
The secret with blanching hazelnuts is to buy them already blanched. They can be expensive to buy and if they are then you can make them yourself. When you make your own blanched hazelnuts you will almost never be able to clean then the way premade blanched ones are in the shop. Here is how you can make your own blanched hazelnuts.
- Take the hazelnuts, pop them into a pan and lightly stir them constantly on medium to high fire. When the hazelnuts start to release their scent, then they are almost done let it bake for another few minutes. Be careful not to burn them, smaller ones burn faster. You will know that they are done when some (not all) start to peel or the dark shell starts to “crack”. There is an oven method but I found that my hazelnuts always burn when I prepare them in the oven. After about 5 – 10 minutes take the hazelnuts and place them on a damp kitchen towel and rub off the dark shells. You will not be able to get all the shells off but that is ok. Set them aside and let them cool fully.
- After the hazelnuts have cooled fully, take the blanched hazelnuts and place them into your food processor, and let it run for 10 – 15 minutes until it gets creamy. You will need to scrape down the sides in between. Without a food processor this is almost impossible to do.
- While your nuts are being creamed, melt the chocolate and butter together. You can do this over a pot with steam (best method in my opinion).
- Next, after you get the creamy hazelnut texture, add the chocolate and butter mix, salt and honey into the processor with the hazelnuts and let it mix for another few minutes until smooth and fully combined.
- Taste and test the texture. If it’s too sweet add some some cocoa powder. If it’s not sweet enough, add more honey. If it’s not creamy enough add milk.
- Remember when you place this in the fridge the texture will stiffen. So, if you want a creamier texture you should add 1/4 cup milk. If you want an almost identical replica to Nutella, do not add milk. It will be a bit more “hazelnuty” but it will taste very similar to Nutella.
It’s that simple. I got this recipe right after 4 tries. I hope you enjoy it and enjoy your Healthy Homemade Nutella